An Introduction to Web Mapping (Part 2)
Speaker: Christian Christelis
Room: Marathon B
Time: Oct 09 (Wed), 13:30
This is the second half of the 2-session tutorial. It follows on from Part 1 in the morning.
In a world where GPS is ubiquitous, location has become an integral component of almost all data. This means that maps, as well as, general handling of location data have become a vital component of today’s web applications.
During this tutorial you will learn the essentials of web mapping and how to set up a full map web application, both front-end and back-end.
In the morning session we will look at:
- Fundamental GIS concepts.
- Spatial data formats.
- Building a basic map Leaflet front-end.
- Rendering layers on the front-end.
In the afternoon session we will look at:
- Serving spatial data over the web.
- Setting up a Django Application Server and using GeoDjango.
- Creating a API View and rendering this data in the front-end.
- Using PostGIS, a PostgreSQL extension, as a data back-end. [Stretch objective]
This tutorial is an interactive experience which requires you to bring along a laptop to develop on.